Old World versus New World Wine Tasting
by Rick Meidel
(The Woodlands, TX)
We had a lot of fun putting this together and our guests loved it as well. It was entertaining as well as educational. Friends who tend to be Napa Valley wine drinkers and rarely venture into other regions were most appreciative.
We did the wine tasting in pairs.....an "old world" wine and it's equivalent "new world" wine. Some examples:
- A French Bordeaux versus a California Cabernet Sauvignon
- An Italian Merlot versus an Israeli Merlot (an old world country but a new world wine)
- A White Burgundy from France and a Chardonnay from South Africa
- A Syrah from Portugal and a Shiraz from Australia
- a Rioja from Spain and a Tempranillo from Argentina
Certainly there are other combinations too....perhaps a Red Burgundy (Pinot) from France and a Pinot Noir from New Zealand.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Wine Tasting Themes.